Are you looking to start sports betting in the United States? Don’t worry. While there is a lot of information out there we are here to set the record straight. We have all the information you need to make an informed decision and join the best online sports betting site in America.
Without further delay, let’s get into the best sportsbooks in America. Remember, each state will have a different range of betting platforms for residents to enjoy. Make sure you check our state pages to find out who is licensed to operate in your state.
Bet $5 or More for a $200 Bonus
New players only, must be located in AZ, CO, CT, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, VA, WY, or WV. Must be 21+ or 18+ in WY. Bonus bets are valid for seven days or 168 hours from when the bet appears in your account. Complimentary bet values are not included in returns or winnings from any wager. The bets are non-transferable, non-refundable, and cannot be transferred for cash. One welcome bonus per customer.
- Refer a Friend for a $100 Complimentary Bet
- Daily Free-to-Play Prize Pools
- Enjoy a Variety of Promotions During Important Sporting Events
$3,000 Risk-Free First Bet
New players only. Place your first wager at the FanDuel Sportsbook for a risk-free first bet worth up to $3,000. Must be over 21 years of age and physically located in AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, and WY. To qualify, you must deposit at least ten dollars on any sporting event at FanDuel. If your wager loses, you can get up to $3,000 in extra bets.
- Place a $20 Four+ Leg Parlay on College Football and get $10 in Complimentary Bets
- Refer a Friend for a Bonus Worth $75
- Place an NFL 4+ Leg Same Game Parlay and a Second Chance if your Wager Loses
Start With a $1,000 Risk-Free
New players receive risk-free wagers worth up to $1,000. If your bet loses, you will receive five equal denominations of bonus bets for your total wager. Unless your wager is worth less than $50, you will receive only one bonus bet. You must use your extra bets within seven days of receipt. You must deposit at least $10 into your account to qualify. The first $1,000 of your bet is eligible for this promotion. You must be in AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MD, MI, NY, NJ, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, or WY.
- $1,000 Risk-Free First Bet
- MLB and EPL One Game Parlay Insurance Worth $25
- Refer a Friend for a $50 Bonus
Top 10 Sports Betting Sites USA
If you want to know which bookmakers are the best in America, check out our helpful list below. We recommend new players read the entire guide before deciding which betting organization to join.
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- BetMGM Sportsbook
- Caesars Sportsbook
- BetRivers Sportsbook
- Barstool Sportsbook
- Betway Sportsbook
- PointsBet Sportsbook
- Fanatics Sportsbook
- WynnBET Sportsbook
All the best online sportsbooks have websites and mobile applications for us to use. This is a fantastic feature as it allows players to bet on the go. In the next sections, we inspect the sports betting site and mobile applications available to players.
1. DraftKings Sportsbook
If you are searching for the most popular sports betting platform in America, then look no further than DraftKings. The betting platform has been a revelation since leaping from daily fantasy sports back in 2018. Now, players from 22 states across America have access to the online sportsbook.
The DraftKings website has a fantastic main page. At the top, you will find the sporting events currently taking place. Underneath, they have a range of important fixtures for sports like the NFL and NBA. There are tabs to help you navigate the website, allowing you instant access to the latest odds for each sport. You can also access the DraftKings Stats Hub, the perfect collection of statistics to help you research a team before game day.
Other sportsbooks on this list are easier for beginners to use. If you have wagering experience, then DraftKings is the best online sports betting site for you.
If you decide to join the DraftKings Sportsbook, you will also be able to access the following:
- DraftKings Sportsbook Pools: Players can enter real money prize pools at this online sportsbook. The pools are your chance to make a series of predictions for certain sporting events. You can enter pools for free and they offer prizes for the top 800 players. You can also create private pools for just your friends.
- DraftKings Social: DraftKings members can use the social side of the sportsbook to share picks with the community. If you want some advice for your wagers this week, the DK community may offer the inspiration you need.
- DraftKings Missions: Players can complete individual missions as well as claim promotions available on the sportsbook. These quick and easy tasks give players additional prizes to use on the betting platform.
|Platforms||Android, iOS, and PC|
|Best Feature||Consistent and high-paying odds across all sports|
|Worst Feature||Intimidating display for new users|
|Legal States||AZ, CO, CT, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY|
2. FanDuel Sportsbook
FanDuel is another popular service for sports betting fans across America. Not only is the sportsbook available in 20 states, but it has one of the best mobile betting apps on the market. The website is equally straightforward and provides members with access to the other FanDuel services.
The homepage has all the biggest sports of the day, allowing you to jump right into the important action. They display the upcoming games for leagues like the NFL and MLB. Plus, FanDuel offers a fantastic live betting experience where you can watch live streams for certain events. You can tune in on your PC or cell phone and place wagers at the touch of a button.
FanDuel is high up on our list for many reasons, including these features:
- Consistency: FanDuel offers a consistent and reliable sports betting service. If you experience any issues, there is a dedicated support team in place. You can talk to an actual person in a matter of minutes using the live chat.
- Online Casino, DFS, and Race Book: FanDuel has different services available to residents across America. Players on a computer can access daily fantasy sports, horse racing events, and a variety of casino games. On your mobile device, you will need to download separate applications for each platform.
- Promotions: All players can access promotions for big sporting events throughout the year. This includes parlay bet insurance and bonus bets for multiple sports.
|Platforms||Android, iOS, and PC|
|Best Feature||Easiest mobile app for new players to use|
|Worst Feature||Not the most consistent sportsbook for promotions|
|Legal States||AZ, CO, CT, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY|
3. BetMGM Sportsbook
The BetMGM Sportsbook brings the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas to sports betting. The platform is available in over 18 states across America. It has improved significantly over the years, offering members one of the best betting experiences.
The desktop site prioritizes current live games for noteworthy leagues. That means when you log in, you can see the NFL and NBA matches currently underway. Plus, they have all the major upcoming games in the sections below. The bet slip is straightforward, requiring no prior sports betting knowledge.
BetMGM is an excellent platform for anyone looking to navigate sports betting with little hassle. The tabs mean you are never more than a click away from finding the events you want to bet on. The sportsbook offers a superb live betting platform where players can access detailed statistics during a game.
Besides everything we have mentioned above, BetMGM has fantastic tools to make your experience as convenient as possible. Anyone who registers can enjoy:
- Live Sport Streams: Live betting is important for any online platform. BetMGM has live streams for sports like tennis that any member can watch after they register.
- Simple Design: The sportsbook at BetMGM is easy enough for anyone to pick up. Both the mobile app and webpage have a clutter-free design. No matter your sports betting experience, BetMGM is a service anyone can use.
- Online Poker and Casino: If you live in a state like New Jersey or Pennsylvania, then you have access to an outstanding casino platform. BetMGM has over 3,000 slots in select states, plus an excellent online poker service. Using any of these services contributes toward your BetMGM reward points.
|Platforms||Android, iOS, and PC|
|Best Feature||Biggest online casino of all sports betting platforms|
|Worst Feature||Smaller selection of sports to bet on|
|Legal States||AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY|
4. Caesars Sportsbook
Caesars Sportsbook completed a merger with William Hill in 2021. Since then, the platform has undergone a major facelift, resulting in one of the best online sports betting sites in America. If you have visited Las Vegas, you are probably familiar with the Caesars brand.
Caesars is a betting platform with a unique reward system. Members can earn reward points which they can exchange for various prizes. The platform also offers promotions for players to claim without having to save up points.
There are many tools at Caesars to help you find the sports you want to bet on. The platform is easy enough for anyone to use. The bet slip makes it a trouble-free experience to create exciting parlays across multiple sports.
On top of the reasons we have already listed, here are a few more features you can enjoy at Caesars:
- Lots of Promotions: Online sportsbooks across the country vary with the promotions they offer. Caesars has stepped up with the number of freebies and bonuses every player can enjoy. The desktop site makes it easy to find the boosted bets and claim the latest promos.
- Simple Bet Slip: Finding important information, such as your betting history, can be difficult on some sports betting platforms. At Caesars, everything is located inside the bet slip.
- Quick and Easy: Caesars provides players with freedom while giving them all the information they need to make an educated sports bet. Take out some of the guesswork thanks to the statistics available at Caesars Sportsbook.
|Platforms||Android, iOS, and PC|
|Best Feature||Great reward system and promotions|
|Worst Feature||Small online casino compared to the competition|
|Legal States||AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY|
5. BetRivers Sportsbook
Fifth on our list is the BetRivers Sportsbook. Rush Street Interactive merged SugarHouse with BetRivers to bring a consistent betting experience to America. The platform is now available in 15 states.
BetRivers operates a fantastic online website. It has one of the best live betting services in America, including some of the most detailed match statistics. Plus, BetRivers has fantastic promotions for players to enjoy every week. They offer daily specials where players can claim boosted bets on the sports taking place in the next 24 hours.
The promotions available at BetRivers help make it the best for bonuses out of every major betting site. You can claim bonus bets for the NFL, bet insurance for the NHL, and parlay boosts for the MLB. Also, depending on your state, you can claim personalized bonuses for your local sports team. Players in New Jersey can get boosts for the Jets and players in Pennsylvania can get Steelers bonuses.
There are even more reasons to consider BetRivers, such as:
- Unique Reward System: The reward system at BetRivers is tailored to your betting activity. That means, when you place wagers, you collect points to use at the bonus store. You can exchange these points for a variety of bonuses, including free bets. This system suits any player looking to make the majority of sports bets in one place.
- Live Streaming: Only a handful of sports betting platforms give players access to live streams. BetRivers is one of the select few to stream tennis matches and basketball games. Plus, BetRivers has the greatest assortment of statistics for every team across all sports.
- Wide Range of Sports: Every sportsbook has a range of markets for fans to bet on. However, the selection at BetRivers is up there with the best. They support wagers on sports from all over the globe, including a variety of leagues and tournaments.
|Platforms||Android, iOS, and PC|
|Best Feature||Best for promotions across multiple sports|
|Worst Feature||Not as widely available across America|
|Legal States||AZ, CO, CT, IA, IL, IN, LA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, WV|
U.S. States with Legal Betting Sites
Now that sports betting is legal in select locations across the United States, there are plenty of sportsbooks for us to choose from. Some states took the chance when the rules changed in 2018, resulting in around 25 states with online sports betting of some kind. The states with access to online sportsbooks include:
- Kentucky - Coming Soon
- Maine - Coming Soon
- New Hampshire – State-run sports betting
- New Jersey
- New York
- Oregon – State-run sports betting
- Rhode Island – State-run sports betting
- West Virginia
States That Only Support Retail Sports Betting
The states in the list above allow residents to bet online using a smartphone or computer. But they are not the only states with some form of legal sports betting service. Inside brick-and-mortar casinos or racetracks across this great country are locations where you can place bets in person. The states with retail sports betting are:
- New Mexico
- North Carolina – Retail only but online betting coming in 2024
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
States Trying to Legalize Online Betting
America is settling down with the number of states trying to legalize sports betting. However, there are still some trying to drum up enough support for legislation to be passed. These states are edging closer to legalizing sportsbooks:
- Alabama: The state has yet to issue licenses to sportsbooks, but the chamber has approved legislation.
- California: The original propositions failed in California, but that is not the end of the discussion. There will be talks of legal sports betting in the 2024 election cycle.
- Florida: Sports betting was legal in the state until 2021. The Sunshine State has faced a battle over the past few years with rumors of the Supreme Court settling the discussion. However, any verdict or trial is a long way down the line.
- Georgia: Locals want sports betting to become legal in the state but no major steps towards legalization occurred in 2023.
- Missouri: The locals are pushing harder for sportsbooks in the state after the law changed in Kentucky. Once again, no major steps towards legislation this year.
- Texas: No laws have changed in Texas but the biggest sports teams in the state are backing a new bill to allow betting.
Sportsbook Review Procedure
There are lots of websites out there with reviews for sports betting platforms, but how do you know who to trust? The staff at Bet Station have years of experience in providing impartial advice.
We are fans of sports just like you, looking for the best-paying and easiest ways to place sports wagers. We hold ourselves to the highest standards and we ensure all information is accurate and unbiased. Any opinions presented here are our own, and no third party has influenced us when creating our reviews.
The Bet Station Sports Betting Rating System
We have reviewed over a dozen sportsbooks and have a standardized procedure. This is to ensure continuity across our site and to guarantee we come to a fair conclusion. Here are some reasons you can trust Bet Station:
- Firsthand Experience: All the reviews we have written have come after months of firsthand experience. We assess each brand as honestly as possible while considering that each player is looking for something different.
- Fact Checked: When we talk about sports betting, we are focusing on the licensed and approved services available in America. We do not recommend players sign up for offshore betting as it’s impossible to guarantee your safety.
- Unbiased and Independent: Bet Station is independent, with no affiliation to any of the sports betting platforms listed on our website. All our opinions are our own and no third party has influenced our decision.
- Research Orientated: We never talk about a topic without hours of painstaking research beforehand. There are many websites out there with false information about sports betting sites. Ensure you only get your information from a reputable source.
Legal Sports Betting Websites versus Offshore Sportsbooks
Legal sportsbooks have positively affected the industry across the United States. If you sign up for a licensed betting site in your state, you can bet without fear. These services must operate within a strict set of rules set forward by a gambling commission. These commissions are here for your benefit. You can register complaints or any issues with the commission.
Below are more reasons for using legal sports betting websites instead of an offshore service:
- Security: Offshore sportsbooks might be legal in most states, but they are not always safe. If you run into an issue with a remote betting service, there is almost nothing you can do about it. They can stop you from withdrawing your winnings or even leak your data to third parties.
- Payment Methods: Regulated sportsbooks in the United States have multiple ways for you to fund your account. Offshore platforms often require you to convert currency. This can result in lost funds, as many players will tell you if search online.
- Sportsbook Bonus: Offshore betting platforms use alluring bonuses to convince players to register. While they might give a larger bonus at first, it is difficult or impossible to get your winnings out of the platform. Stick with the regulated online betting services offered in the United States.
Betting Sites for Individual Sports
Every platform has several online markets for you to bet on. That includes the NBA plus the various other basketball leagues taking place around the world. To help you make the right bets for certain sports, we have some tips for you to follow below.
Betting on the NFL
The NFL is the most popular sport in America. No other sport comes close to the amount players across the country spend on football games yearly. They place most wagers on a Sunday when the majority of the action takes place.
This popularity is a good thing, as it means sportsbooks are more likely to give players bonuses for NFL games. Some websites hand out promotions more consistently than others. Platforms like BetRivers are more reliable for NFL promotions than other major sports betting services.
To help you make a wager on the NFL, we have a list of the most popular bets players up and down the country are placing. The best NFL bets you can place include:
- Moneyline: The perfect bet when you are confident in one team winning the game regardless of the scoreline.
- Spread Bet: When you think a team will beat the underdog by a certain number of points. Or, the underdog only loses by a couple of points at the end of the game.
- Totals: The best wager to place when you think either team will score a lot of points or not many at all.
- Proposition Bets: You can place a wager on an individual performance, such as a player to score a touchdown at any point in a game.
- Futures: If you like the look of a team, you can bet on them making it to the Super Bowl or lifting the trophy at the end of the season.
- Teasers: You can combine two or more spread bets or totals into one wager. You can adjust the size of the spread to increase or decrease your potential returns.
While these bets are popular, they are not the only ones you can place on the NFL. However, to place a winning wager, you need luck and good timing. In the Super Bowl last year, the winning team would have lost the spread bet but won the moneyline.
Betting on the NBA
Many fans bet on the NBA every season and there is a dedicated following for college-level games. Unlike football, the NBA games come thick and fast as teams play multiple times a week. While this gives fans more sports to watch, it increases the chance of a star playing being rotated for certain games.
NBA fans need to monitor the league carefully to ensure these managerial changes do not catch them out. The wagers below are the most popular across America, but you still need to do your research. The most common NBA bets include:
- Parlays: You can predict the winner of a series of games taking place across the week or just one day of action. The parlay will pay a lot more than single wagers if all your predictions come true.
- Spreads: Bettors love watching NBA teams cover the spread. This is where a favorite will need to win by a clear margin for your wager to be a winner.
- Props: Every week several players shine brighter than others, whether it's offensive contributions or a defensive master class. You can bet on a player scoring over 25 points, for example.
- Futures: If a player or team is looking deadly at the start of the season, you can bet on them making the finals, winning the division, or taking home the league MVP award.
- Totals: Basketball can be a high-scoring sport, which brings total bets into play. You can bet on both teams scoring more or less than 225 points.
College Sports Betting Restrictions
College football and basketball betting is incredibly popular across the United States. While most states back their local teams, it is not always possible. Some states have rules to stop residents from betting on college sports.
Every state has autonomy for sports betting, which means they can pick what events are legal. Some states do not allow college prop bets no matter where the team is from, others have restrictions on events taking place in state lines.
Here are the states with constraints for college sports betting:
- Illinois, New Jersey, and New York: Residents cannot bet on College teams from their state, regardless of the location of the game. Only New York allows players to bet on two out-of-state teams competing within its borders on special occasions. The game must be inside of an important event, such as the NCAA Tournament. Otherwise, none of the states allow bettors to wager on a college-level game occurring within state lines.
- Connecticut: Just like the states above, Connecticut does not allow wagers on in-state college teams. However, you can place futures on the teams based inside of the state.
- No Prop Bets: Prop bets for college-level sports are not permitted in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. That means you cannot bet on individual performances for college sports.
Responsible Online Gambling USA
Now that Americans have access to online sports betting services, safety should be every player’s top priority. It has never been easier to place a wager on a sporting event, which means the dangers of gambling are very real.
Sportsbooks have features to help players control their gambling activity. That includes limits for the amount you can deposit, the time you spend logged in, and you can even set time outs. New players might not understand the importance of these tools, but it’s easy to spend more money or time than you are comfortable with.
There are various charities and helplines in every state of America to help players cope with gambling-related issues. While we hope none of you experience the difficulties we have faced over the years, it’s essential to realize to seek help when you need it. You are not alone with your problems; do not be afraid to seek help.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best online sports betting site?
The best sports betting website in America is DraftKings. There are several sportsbooks with fantastic features, but DraftKings is the best. The service is widely available, taking bets in 22 states.
What is the safest online sports betting site?
FanDuel is one of the safest online sports betting websites for Americans. The brand is licensed to operate in the United States and has excellent customer service. Plus, they have several measures to help keep your account secure.
What is the most trusted betting site?
Any sports betting operator licensed to operate in your state is trustworthy. Each sportsbook must comply with strict rules to offer sports bets. Every legal sports betting platform is safe in America.
How long does it take to withdraw my winnings?
Withdrawals at most online sportsbooks take between 2 and 48 hours. However, this time can vary depending on the time of year. Withdrawing funds around sporting events, like the Super Bowl, may take longer than usual. Typically, you can expect to see the funds in your account within two days of approval from the sportsbook.
Do I pay taxes on my winnings?
Yes. Any money earned when gambling is taxable by the IRS. When filling out your tax return, you must include horse racing, lotteries, and sports betting winnings in the “other income” category. Failing to do so will end with consequences, so it’s better to be safe than sorry.
What is the best sports betting app?
DraftKings is our number one sportsbook in America. However, FanDuel, BetMGM, Caesars Sportsbook, and a couple of other sports betting sites deserve recognition. They all offer an excellent service with subtle differences.
Is online betting legal in the USA?
Online betting is legal in several states across America. Some states have strict rules regarding online gambling, which will not change soon. However, there are many states in the process of changing their legislation to approve online betting.
Which sportsbook has the best odds?
DraftKings is one of the best sportsbooks because it consistently has the best odds for you to enjoy. When compared to Caesars Sportsbook, the odds at DraftKings were higher. Anyone placing the same bets on both platforms would see higher returns at DraftKings.
Where can I find the best betting Promotions?
The best promotions are at sportsbooks that change regularly. BetRivers is fantastic for constantly adding and replacing bonuses. They can offer you parlay boosts for NHL games, bet boosts for the NFL, and even a free bet when you wager a certain amount on the NBA.