Sports betting became legal in Louisiana in 2021, with 55 of the 64 parishes voting to take sports wagers. Online sports betting didn’t come to LA until January 2022. Since then, eight online sportsbooks have launched and are now available for LA residents. Now, we face a tough decision. What are the best Louisiana sports betting sites?
In this guide, we will examine every Louisiana sports betting platform available. That means we are looking at the promotions, the number of sports on offer, and aspects such as reward systems. Once you have read our guide, you will know what to look for when registering at a Louisiana sportsbook for the first time.
Bet $5 or More for a $200 Bonus
New players only, must be located in AZ, CO, CT, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, VA, WY, or WV. Must be 21+ or 18+ in WY. Bonus bets are valid for seven days or 168 hours from when the bet appears in your account. Complimentary bet values are not included in returns or winnings from any wager. The bets are non-transferable, non-refundable, and cannot be transferred for cash. One welcome bonus per customer.
- Refer a Friend for a $100 Complimentary Bet
- Daily Free-to-Play Prize Pools
- Enjoy a Variety of Promotions During Important Sporting Events
$3,000 Risk-Free First Bet
New players only. Place your first wager at the FanDuel Sportsbook for a risk-free first bet worth up to $3,000. Must be over 21 years of age and physically located in AZ, CO, CT, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, and WY. To qualify, you must deposit at least ten dollars on any sporting event at FanDuel. If your wager loses, you can get up to $3,000 in extra bets.
- Place a $20 Four+ Leg Parlay on College Football and get $10 in Complimentary Bets
- Refer a Friend for a Bonus Worth $75
- Place an NFL 4+ Leg Same Game Parlay and a Second Chance if your Wager Loses
Get a Second Chance Bet Worth up to $1,250
Register a new Caesars Sportsbook account to receive a risk-free wager worth up to $1,250. New players will also receive 1,000 reward credits and 1,000 tier credits. The extra bet for this promotion is only paid out if your wager loses and is worth up to $1,250. Bonus bets must be used within 14 days of receipt. Must be physically present in AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MI, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV, or WY. Your first wager must be worth $10 or more to qualify. The bet is a one-time wager that cannot be divided into multiple wagers.
- Refer a Friend for a $100 Bonus Bet
- 33% NFL Parlay Boost
- Ticket Giveaways for NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL Games
Best Sportsbook for Louisiana Players
If this is your first time joining an online sportsbook, there are a lot of aspects to consider. To help you decide, we have joined each sports betting service in Louisiana to see how they compare. Below are summaries of our experience using each sportsbook over the past few months. For more information about a sportsbook, check the links to our detailed reviews.
- Betfred (Retail Only)
- Bally Bet (Retail Only)
- TwinSpires (Closed)
- WynnBET (Closed)
- FOX Bet (Coming Soon)
- Clutch Bet (Coming Soon)
1. DraftKings Sportsbook
DraftKings is one of the best sportsbooks in America, no matter what state you are playing from. That is because the service has some of the most consistent odds out of every sports betting website in Louisiana. Placing bets at the DraftKings Sportsbook is usually the best way to maximize your returns, should your wagers come true.
For those of you who are looking for a bit of background, DraftKings began as a fantasy sports provider. From here, it branched into sports betting in 2018 when the Supreme Court overturned the 1992 PASPA. Now, DraftKings operates a sportsbook and fantasy sports service. Plus, in select states, members can enjoy an online casino and an NFT Marketplace. If you are serious about sports betting, DraftKings Louisiana is the best option for experienced bettors.
2. FanDuel Sportsbook
FanDuel is a better sportsbook for inexperienced players. The mobile app and website are much easier for new players to understand. Plus, FanDuel operates one of the best live betting services in the state. This is where bettors can watch live streams of big games and they can access detailed statistics for each team.
Looking at the sportsbook, FanDuel has a consistent range of promotions throughout the year. This is where you can claim bonuses for popular sports like the NFL. The betting platform also introduces boosted bets for all members to consider. If you want to bet on sports but are unsure where to begin, FanDuel is the answer. Not only is the service full of useful features, but it is straightforward no matter how much experience you have.
3. Caesars Sportsbook
Caesars offers a unique experience from the other sports betting platforms mentioned. That is because it has an excellent reward system. Loyal players can earn reward points by making sports bets. Plus, you can visit a casino and add to your points tally by playing slots or table games. You can then choose a reward once you have collected enough points. There are dozens of prizes, including free hotel stays and discounted holidays.
Focusing on the sportsbook, it is one of the largest in LA, with around 23 sports to bet on. Caesars is a superb choice for motorsport fans as you can bet on Formula 1, IndyCar, and the entire NASCAR series. The sportsbook is also fantastic for offering fans boosted bets. This includes quick picks for the EPL, NBA, and NHL games, plus multi-sport parlays with boosted returns. If you are serious about sports betting, Caesars offers a consistent stream of profit boosts to use on any market.
With around 20 sports on offer, BetMGM is another well-equipped Louisiana betting site. The events on offer include all the names you might expect, such as the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB. Plus, there is an impressive collection of obscure sports, like handball, darts, and cricket. What makes BetMGM a standout choice is the range of promotions. You can enter competitions to win a free bet or large cash prizes.
One of the best features at BetMGM is the live betting service. Players can watch important games using a live stream. Plus, they can access statistics about the current match and details about previous performances. BetMGM has a similar reward system to Caesars, where you can collect points online and in person. However, BetMGM is a better online sportsbook for anyone looking to place live bets.
The BetRivers sportsbook is a superb choice for residents of Louisiana. It offers a variety of different sports, like bowling, volleyball, and golf. The sportsbook is one of the best equipped in LA, as it offers a humongous collection of leagues from all over the globe. Looking at soccer, there are over 40 leagues and tournaments to bet on.
BetRivers is one of the best in the state for bonuses. The platform offers multiple bonuses for popular sports like football and the NBA. Plus, the sportsbook has a live betting service. The platform provides insight into betting trends to see what other players are betting on. It also supports a collection of statistics about most major sports. If you want to experience Louisiana sports betting armed with as much information as possible, BetRivers is the way to go.
6. Barstool Sportsbook
If you have not heard of Barstool Sports, they use unique personalities to create sports-themed content. While this won’t appeal to everyone, the sportsbook accommodates new and experienced players. The platform supports a range of sports to bet on and they are running promotions more regularly. Barstool had bonus bets for all players during events like the Master and March Madness.
There are a lot of strengths to the service at the Barstool Sportsbook. The first is how easy the Louisiana sports betting site is to use on your mobile device. They incorporate sliders for you to adjust the size of a total bet or point spread. Plus, the sportsbook features boosted bets created by the personalities we mentioned. These wagers can offer great returns or a little inspiration to create a wager of your own.
PointsBet is now available in 14 states, making it one of the most widely available services in America. Its popularity stems from several features, including a unique wager you won’t find at rival sportsbooks. PointsBetting is when you bet on aspects such as the total number of points scored in a game. For every point scored above your prediction, the sportsbook will pay more. However, getting this wrong will cost you more than your stake.
There are around 14 events to bet on at PointsBet, considerably fewer than the best sports betting sites in LA. There is a reward system for players to claim free bets, but that is usually the only way to claim bonuses in this sportsbook. However, if you are a fan of parlays, you can use the Quick Parlay bet builder. This is where you can choose your sports, and the wagers you want to include, then easily create a parlay.
Betway is now up and running in Louisiana. That means residents have eight online sportsbooks to choose from. The Betway Sportsbook fills the void left by WynnBET. That is because the service is full of promotions. Plus, it has a collection of markets for players to browse. If you are looking for the best betting website in Louisiana, Betway is not one to overlook.
Louisiana Sports Betting Updates
Legal sports betting has only been available in Louisiana since October 2021. However, states legalized sportsbooks as early as 2018 after the Supreme Court overruled the 1992 PASPA. Before 2018, sports betting was illegal across most of the United States. Now, Louisiana is one of over 30 states with infrastructure in place to accept a bet on a legal sport.
- February 1991: Sen. DeConcini introduces the PASPA to the Senate.
- June 1992: After over a year, the Senate passed the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act with 88 votes for and five against.
- October 1992: President Bush signed the PASPA into law. This means sports betting across America is now illegal except for a select few places.
- June 2017: The Supreme Court will now entertain oral arguments against the PASPA after years of failed campaigns led by New Jersey.
- May 2018: The Supreme Court ruled against the PASPA, they deemed it unconstitutional. The act is no longer in effect and each state can legalize sports betting if they wish.
- November 2020: Out of the 64 parishes in Louisiana, 55 voted in favor of legalizing sports betting.
- June 2021: They signed three laws into place to legalize sports betting. That includes details about the tax system plus the launch dates for sportsbooks in the state. Retail sports betting will launch later in 2021, with online sports betting coming in 2022.
- October 6, 2021: The first retail sports betting location opens in Louisiana, the Betfred Sportsbook at the Paragon Casino is the first venue to take sports bets.
- January 28, 2022: A few months after the release of retail sports betting, residents of LA can now make sports bets online.
- January 28, 2022: DraftKings Sportsbook launches in Louisiana and announces plans to launch another retail location in the state.
- January 28, 2022: FanDuel also starts taking sports bets on the opening day.
- January 28, 2022: Caesars Sportsbook was the third sportsbook in Louisiana to launch on the first day.
- January 28, 2022: BetMGM joins the party by also launching an online sportsbook in LA.
- January 28, 2022: The fifth online sportsbook to take sports bets in Louisiana was BetRivers.
- January 28, 2022: Barstool Sportsbook was the sixth operator to take sports bets in the state.
- February 10, 2022: A few weeks after online sports betting became legal in the Pelican State, WynnBET established its online sportsbook.
- September 23, 2022: PointsBet is the latest online sportsbook to operate in Louisiana.
- May 20, 2023: Eight sportsbooks are available in LA with up to four more entering the state later this year. The other sports betting platforms include Betway, Betfred, ClutchBet, and FOX Bet.
- August 11, 2023: WynnBET announces it has left Louisiana and is not taking any new bets.
Louisiana Sportsbook Launch Dates
Every Louisiana sports betting app is required to have a license. This could be a partnership with a retail establishment that has a brick-and-mortar presence in the Pelican State. A sportsbook does not need a physical location where you can place bets in person, but quite a few do. In the table below, you will find a list of all the casinos in Louisiana with a retail sportsbook location. Plus, you can find out who is running the sportsbook and when it first opened.
|Sports Betting Site||Retail Location||Sportsbook Launch Date|
|Barstool||L'Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles||November 11, 2021 (Reopened March 14, 2022)|
|FanDuel||Sam's Town Hotel & Casino, Shreveport||January 11, 2022|
|FanDuel||Treasure Chest Casino||December 7, 2021|
|Caesars||Horseshoe Bossier City||October 31, 2021 (Reopened September 1, 2022)|
|Caesars||Horseshoe Lake Charles||December 12, 2022|
|DraftKings||Golden Nugget Lake Charles Hotel & Casino||November 10, 2021 (Reopened August 29, 2022)|
|Barstool||Boomtown New Orleans||November 1, 2021|
|Barstool||Margaritaville Resort Casino||November 12, 2021|
|Betfred||Paragon Casino Resort||October 6, 2021|
|Caesars||Harrah’s New Orleans||October 31, 2022|
|FanDuel||Amelia Belle Casino||January 13, 2022|
|FanDuel||Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino||December 15, 2021|
|FanDuel||Delta Downs||December 9, 2021|
|Barstool||Boomtown Casino Hotel||November 12, 2021|
|Barstool||L’Auberge Casino & Hotel Baton Rouge||November 1, 2021|
|DraftKings||Hollywood Casino Baton Rouge||March 23, 2022|
|Bally Bet||Bally's Shreveport Casino & Hotel||July 20, 2022|
|The Inside Rail||Louisiana Downs||March 18, 2022|
|The Rez||Coushatta Casino Resort||December 1, 2021|
Who can Legally Bet on Sports in Louisiana?
States across America will have different rules for sports betting. That’s because of the Supreme Court ruling from 2018. In Louisiana, the same applies to the 64 parishes in the state. They all had the chance to vote on sports betting and fantasy sports. However, while not every state has approved, they all share the same rules for betting on sports. Below are the rules for all Louisiana bettors in a licensed parish.
- Legal Age: To make a legal wager in Louisiana, you must be 21 years of age or older. Players under the legal age requirement cannot place a bet in LA either online or in person.
- Mobile Betting: Most legal sportsbooks in Louisiana support mobile sports bets, except for two. Betfred and Bally Bet do not support online wagers at the moment. However, you can place sports bets using your mobile device if you sign up for one of eight licensed services operating in LA.
- State Lines: To make a wager in Louisiana, you must be within state lines. No online sports betting service will accept your wager if you are outside the state, as each sportsbook has geolocation software built in.
- Remote Registration: You do not need to visit a retail sportsbook to register for betting. You can join an online service using a mobile device or computer. That allows players to register at any of the 55 approved parishes.
- Retail Locations: There are several retail sportsbooks for residents to visit in Louisiana. Most of these locations are inside vibrant casinos. You can place bets on sports and casino games if you are over 21.
What can’t you Bet on at a Sportsbook Louisiana?
No matter what state you are in, there are restrictions over what events you can bet on. Some states are very strict with these rules, like New Jersey. Players in this state cannot bet on in-state college teams. Other states have restrictions on events like the Super Bowl. Louisiana Bettors should note the list below as it includes all the markets not eligible for wagering. These betting options are likely to remain out of our reach for the foreseeable future.
- Award Ceremonies
- High School Events
Residents in the Bayou State can bet freely on college-level sports teams, such as the LSU Tigers. Most Louisiana betting apps will offer good betting odds on local college teams. Residents of LA cannot bet on players younger than 18, no matter what event. That means high school sports betting is not allowed, and the same applies to eSports competitions.
Legal Louisiana Sports Betting Parishes
Out of the 64 parishes in the state of Louisiana, 55 of them have legalized online sports betting. Like the states across America, the parishes in Louisiana get the final say over whether sports wagering is legal. Unfortunately, for a select number of residents, sports betting is not legal in every parish in the state. Below is a list of the parishes that voted against legalizing sportsbooks.
- La Salle
- West Carroll
There are several reasons these parishes voted against sports betting. Each parish has a population between a couple thousand and under 23,000. While the population is just an estimate, each parish is declining in size. The residents in these parishes will not consider sports betting soon. Those who want to make sports bets will not have to drive far to gain access to an online sportsbook.
Is DFS Legal in Louisiana?
Just like sports betting, the parishes of Louisiana voted on whether daily fantasy sports should be legal in the state. While nine of the 64 parishes voted against legal sportsbooks, 17 opted against DFS services. That means in 47 parishes, residents can access DFS. Unsurprisingly, all the states that voted against wagering on sports also opted out of daily fantasy sports contests.
- Jefferson Davis
- West Carroll
There was a substantial delay between the vote and the law coming into effect. The first fantasy sports operator launched in July 2021, several years after the voters hit the ballots. DraftKings was the first of many services to launch in the approved parishes.
Louisiana Online Sports Betting Revenue
Sports betting has been legal in Louisiana for over a year, giving us a lot of data to examine. The state has online and retail locations that submit monthly numbers to the Louisiana Gaming Control Board for us all to see. Instead of looking at the numbers from 2022, we want to know how it’s going now. The table below shows recent activity in LA for online and retail sports betting.
|December 2022||January 2023||February 2023||Total|
The table shows the sports betting handle in Louisiana over three months. That means we are looking at the total amount players spent at sportsbooks across the state. There is a clear divide between retail and mobile betting activity. Even with this division, sports betting was worth over $730 million in three months. You don’t need a degree in economics to know that betting is popular in LA.
Promotions and Bonuses at a Sportsbook Louisiana
We have mentioned various promotions throughout this guide, but that does not make it easy for new players to spot a good deal. We recommend all players read the fine print before claiming a bonus, no matter what it is. The sports betting legal terms are difficult for new players to understand. Below, are a few betting tips to help you find a good sportsbook bonus.
- Bonus Bet: This promotion allows you to place a wager without risking your deposited funds. Each Louisiana Sportsbook will offer a different type of bonus bet. Make sure you read the fine print at a Louisiana sports betting website to find out what betting options are available.
- Second Chance Bet: A form of insurance where a player won’t lose the entire stake if the bet fails. The betting platform will give you a free bet up to a specified amount. Louisiana sports wagering platforms will require you to use the refund before you can withdraw it from your account.
- Look Before You Claim a Bonus: Louisiana sports betting operators have a unique welcome bonus. The offer at Caesars Sportsbook will differ from the bonus you can claim at DraftKings Louisiana. You should shop around for the best deal before you register.
- Are Bonuses Important: Some betting platforms are more consistent than others in giving out bonuses. The FanDuel Sportsbook might be one of the easiest to use, but other services offer a greater range of promotions for all players. Keep a lookout for sportsbook promo codes when joining an online sportsbook.
- Bet in Person or Online: Baton Rouge is a hive for in-person betting. There are several casinos ready to take your sports bet. Plus, Baton Rouge is not the only city in Louisiana with retail sportsbooks. You can visit different casinos all over the state, for example, the Boomtown Casino.
Betting on Louisiana Sports Teams
If you are looking for the best betting site in Louisiana to bet on local teams, you are in luck. That is because every mobile sports betting platform will take bets on teams from the state. Plus, if you are looking to make college sports bets, several universities in the state have top-level teams. Louisiana Bettors have fantastic betting options spread across the entire state. Below, we have summaries of the greatest sports teams in the state.
Betting on the New Orleans Saints
Every Louisiana betting site will let you bet on the New Orleans Saints. That includes a range of wagers for the season and future bets on the Super Bowl. Although the Saints have only one Super Bowl victory, the franchise has nine Division Championship titles. They founded the team in 1967, and they have played at the Superdome since 1975. The franchise last made a playoff appearance in 2020. Could this be the year the Saints go marching in?
New Orleans Pelicans Betting
If you are looking for a sports betting app to place wagers on the New Orleans Pelicans, then you are in luck. All the services available in Louisiana have various markets for the NBA and other basketball leagues. For those of you interested in the Pelicans, they founded the team in 2002. The franchise has undergone several name changes in its brief history. Starting as the New Orleans Hornets and Oklahoma City Hornets before settling on the Pelicans in 2013. The franchise has only tasted success once, winning the 2008 NBA Division Title.
Louisiana College Sports Betting
Mobile sports betting on college teams in Louisiana is trouble-free. That is visible when you compare the service to a state like New Jersey. There are usually rules in place to stop prop bets or wagers on in-state college teams. However, Louisiana does not have these restrictions.
Instead, there are five schools with NCAA Division 1 football teams. You can bet on the most popular organizations, like the LSU Tigers. Plus, there are 11 other university squads besides the LSU Tigers. Louisiana bettors can bet on college football, basketball, and baseball events across the United States.
How to Get Started at a Louisiana Sportsbook
Signing up for an online sportsbook is not as straightforward as you would hope. Some sports betting sites have an optional promo code box. Sometimes a welcome bonus requires new players to paste in a specific code to receive the promotion. Failing to enter a code while registering for the sportsbook may cause you to miss out on a welcome bonus. Follow the steps below to ensure you do not lose out.
- Step 1: The first step is to download a Louisiana sportsbook to your mobile device or visit the website. Then you must check the current welcome offer and read the terms and conditions. Read all the fine print for promos as there are many rules which can cause you to forgo your bonus.
- Step 2: The next step is to start the registration process. This is where you will enter an email address, choose a password, and create a username. You might also see a promo code box which is marked by the word optional. If the Louisiana sports wagering platform requires a code for the welcome bonus, make sure you enter it now.
- Step 3: After this, the next stage requires personal information. This includes details about you, such as your gender, address, and date of birth. It’s also at this point that the Louisiana sports betting platform will ask for the last four digits of your Social Security Number. They use your SSN for verification, to ensure you are eligible to gamble. Some betting sites can allow players to use other forms of identification at this stage.
- Step 4: The last step before you have full access to the mobile sports betting platform is to verify your account. Once verified, you can now make a cash deposit at the sportsbook. Make sure you read the fine print one more time to ensure you do not void the promotion. Then you can make your first bet and enjoy the Louisiana sports betting experience.
Responsible Gambling at a Sportsbook Louisiana
Now that you are ready to make a sports bet, it’s time to talk about responsible gambling. New players might look at this section and think that it does not apply to them, but it does. That is because responsible gambling tools can help you stay in control before your betting activity gets out of hand. Think of it as a safety net should your bets not be as successful as you think. You can set limits on your deposits, and the period you spend betting, plus you can block your account from placing further wagers.
Louisiana Frequently Asked Questions
Can you sports bet in Louisiana?
Yes. Sports betting is legal in Louisiana and residents have been able to place bets since October 2021. However, online sports betting has only been available since January 2022. There are eight sportsbooks for patrons to choose from in Louisiana, with three more launching in 2023.
What sportsbook can you use in Louisiana?
There are eight online sportsbooks available for residents of Louisiana. You can join DraftKings, FanDuel, Caesars, BetMGM, BetRivers, Betway Barstool, and PointsBet. Plus, there are several retail locations in the state.
Can I use Bet365 in Louisiana?
No. Bet365 does not have a license from the Louisiana Gaming Control Board. Furthermore, there has been no communication from the company to show an interest in launching in the state. It is unlikely players will be able to use Bet365 in Louisiana this year.
Is Betfred legal in Louisiana?
Yes. Betfred is legal in Louisiana, but you can only make sports bets in person. They are planning to expand the service into online sports betting, where players can bet remotely using their mobile devices. At the moment, you can only make wagers at the Betfred Sportsbook in the Paragon Casino.
Are daily fantasy sports legal in Louisiana?
Yes. DraftKings Louisiana launched its daily fantasy sports service on July 16, 2021. Since then, FanDuel has also launched a fantasy sports service in the state and several other providers.
Is BetMGM in Louisiana?
Yes. BetMGM is one of the eight sports betting platforms available in Louisiana. The service launched alongside five other sportsbooks on the opening day of online sports betting back in January 2022.
Is Betway legal in Louisiana?
Yes. Betway is now available to residents of Louisiana. You can join the online sportsbook and make wagers on sporting events from around the world. The Betway Sportsbook is one of the most consistent services for promotions in LA.
Is Yahoo DFS legal in Louisiana?
Yes. You can sign up for Yahoo daily fantasy sports in Louisiana right now. The service is one of many operating in the 47 approved Louisiana parishes alongside the likes of FanDuel and DraftKings.
What sports betting app is legal in Louisiana?
There are eight sports betting apps available in Louisiana right now. You can join FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM, Caesars, Barstool, Betway, Betrivers, or Pointsbet. There are plans for three more services to launch in the state this year, including Betfred, ClutchBet, and FOX Bet.
What Happened to the Louisiana Lottery Sports Betting License?
When Louisiana legalized sports betting, a license was reserved for the lottery. However, they failed to strike a deal with one of the sportsbook operators. The license will remain unused unless an unlikely deal is struck.
When did Louisiana legalize sports betting?
Gov. John Bel Edwards signed sports betting into law on June 23, 2021. John Bel Edward left the process of licensing sportsbooks to the Louisiana Gaming Control Board and now eight services are available in the state.